7:30 AM and I’m here to state that I resuscitated “My Book.” I did a Google search, read several web links, downloaded drivers, and now I have two terabytes of storage. ~~ HALLELUJAH!! ~~
A pleasant surprise: Found all my trip pictures from Tab Teardrop Trailer Travels in 2010. ~~ HALLELUJAH!! ~~
Next purchase (and nominal expense): Four port USB Hub. I have USB cables for my Canon camera, WiFi, and now external hard drive (and only two ports on my new Dell laptop computer).
Early in the day, yesterday, the three branches were at a peculiar angle. From my vast collection of garden stuff (in the tarp shelter), I claimed several poles. Perhaps I can influence the branches to grow straighter?? Ten days ago a CARE resident gave me two separate branches and told me to “stick them in the ground and they will grow.” (I wrote about one… the other day and posted a picture.) I’ve been questioning folks for a name–and learned the plant is a Plumeria. This is decidedly “an experiment.” Will it grow, will it bloom, what color? (Trust me; I’ll let you know.)
Tired old lady!! Some “downsizing” as box #1 (of scanned paper) goes to the dumpster–along with large map of LaVerne Evergreen Cemetery, and numerous empty boxes. Five scatter rugs were “hosed” clean and will be donated to the local SPCA for bedding in pet cages. Some of the boxes awaiting scanning project covered with a tarp and (perhaps?) security against dust, pollen, and bird droppings. ~~ Roger needed a ride home so I had an unscheduled trip into Livingston–and did grocery shopping. I couldn’t resist (the “garden bug” made me do it): I bought a bag of organic planter soil and two tomato plants. It was a simple task to plant them in the planter prepared a year ago. I know I should have them in separate planters BUT (with my scanning project) one tomato planter is the maximum I want to nurture. ~~ A busy day; I just didn’t take a lot of pictures. ~~ Rain is forecast for tomorrow so I’ll probably be on the computer tomorrow.
No scanning projects today. Anticipating my handymen might arrive, I moved a box full of garden paraphernalia, and put the pallet down. Then I moved clutter in front of the storage building so we would have a “staging area” to shift boxes around. I just kept working at the project, and boxes, and successfully accomplished most I’d planned for Roger. He did shift a couple of boxes too heavy for me. Gratefully, Roger reinforced the torn areas on my awning and I’m praying I get another season (or two) before replacement.
“Yes,” the storage building has been so crowded, and cluttered, I could barely get the door open!! Things are rearranged and piled higher. Contents of those boxes may not be scanned for months?! ~~ Frankly, today I needed all the physical exercise, and fresh air, after recent intensive mental gymnastics with the computer and scanner.
I was wound so tight yesterday, I couldn’t “spring” into chatter about the weather–and the season.
It’s 7:00 PM and I’ve just moved from one computer site to another computer site. For two-and-one-half days, I have searched for, and selected, a web template to document ALL the scanned documents. Frankly, who is going to find “Margie Sink” if they do a Google search? (There are three-million-nine-hundred-thousand “sinks.”) I searched (and searched) the Internet for templates; I experimented with several… but they didn’t provide the results I desired. Click here to see the “fruit of my labor.” There’s effort to create each listing but it should be easier as time goes by?! Furthermore, there isn’t an automatic sort into alphabetical order; I have to move each link to respective location.
Explanation #1: The last couple of weeks, I’ve mulled over, lost sleep, experienced bleary eyes and headaches, considering all the innuendoes of this scanning project. I didn’t want to go to all this work (and expense) and have the data lost among millions of records. Several days ago, I found that I can put my scanned documents on Google Drive, and the document(s) would be searchable on Google. “Searchable”–but so insignificant they would never be found?! That prompted my search for a template for my digital library. Not yet–but soon–I’ll link the library to my Frantz Families–Kith & Kin web site–and vice-versa. My FF-KK web site gets a lot of research traffic.
Explanation #2: I didn’t want to spend weeks (or months) scanning and then discover I had files on my computer that were not accessible to researchers. Yes, I found Google Drive (indispensable) but (in my humble opinion) another tool was needed. I hope, and pray, I can go back to scanning with greater assurance that my labors will not have been in vain.
This “digital” age has merit BUT I’m having a terrible time changing my clocks since we had to “spring forward.” Seriously, I mess with the clock(s) and it changes the year, and goes to twenty-four hour display. They are still inaccurate!!
More than twenty years ago, “Yours Truly” used this picture as a “header” on a newsletter. At that time, I was documenting family history for the eventual book titled Frantz Families–Kith & Kin. Subsequent to publication of the 3,180 page book in hard cover, I published it to the Internet. Check Frantz Families–Kith & Kin. Currently, I’m scanning source material saved, and stored, all these years. Voila, déjà vu.
Oh my, how research has changed over the years!! My computer (then) was a joke compared to my new laptop computer. To my delight, it was comparatively simple to use my new H.P. scanner to scan the picture, save as “jpeg,” and retrieve the image for this blog.